When Breitling announced they were going to make a slightly bigger version of the legendary pilot’s watch, I was interested.
This was the watch that, as a kid, I seen grace the Sporty’s Pilot Catalog and AOPA membership directory that I received in the mail (I was an aviation nut as a kid. Still am.)
While the AOPA Navitimers go for a pretty penny these days, I was able to find this gem of a watch – a Navitimer 01 – pre-owned. And it had several things going for it that the original did not.
First was a in-house movement. Second was the bigger size. Third was a sapphire display back to show off the beautifully finished in-house movement.
This is one of the watches in my regular rotation. And grabbing that big, knurly bezel and feeling those gearings glide back and forth is a great distraction to whatever meeting you might be in.
WHAT I LIKE:
- This is a legendary watch that’s probably most representative of Breitling’s pilot heritage
- Refreshed Navitimer with bigger size, in-house movement and display back
- For as big & heavy as it is, it’s quite comfortable thanks to the lugs
- Those applied Breitling wings on the dial are beautiful
NOT SO MUCH:
- Are you really gonna use that slide rule? Didn’t think so.
- It is difficult to wind manually – the tight in-house movement + small crown means you’re going to lose some skin.
- Dial is pretty busy
MODEL NAME: Breitling Navitimer 01 46mm
REFERENCE NUMBER: AB012721/BD09
MOVEMENT: Breitling 01 (In-House, 70 hour power reserve)
CASE SIZE: 46mm
WATER RESISTANCE: 30m/100ft